The latest extension for IIS 7.0 has been release from the IIS team, Application Request Router (ARR) was released to the web (RTW) and is now available as download for everyone.
ARR, enables Web server administrators and hosting providers to increase Web application scalability and reliability through rule-based routing and load balancing of HTTP server requests. With ARR, administrators can optimize resource utilization for application servers, and so reduce management costs for Web server farms and shared hosting environments. Show me the money! The RTW version of ARR is fully supported and production ready, and adds new functionality since the Release Candidate, including:
- An improved way to allocate and identify servers for host name affinity by including 2 providers: one based on round robin and the other based on memory consumption, to more evenly distribute the “load” across shared servers
- Greater integration with IIS Manager, including the ability to manually override health statuses and configure HTTP and HTTPS ports for the application servers
- Performance improvements in least response time load balancing algorithm
Download it here:
- Microsoft Application Request Routing Version 1 for IIS 7 x86
- Microsoft Application Request Routing Version 1 for IIS 7 x64
Read more at IIS.net.