Last night I spent some hours on configuring a HDHomeRun DUAL box with Windows 7 Media Center. It took some time to get it worked right. So I thought I’ll share my experience and my end results of the configuration that works for with Stofa (Cable Provider) in Denmark.
First there is a good guide available on the HDHomeRun site: Windows Media Center – Windows 7. Although it misses some configuration parts, which works in WMC for the Antenna/Digital Cable in Denmark/Europe.
For setup of the TV tuner part in Media Center, it is a bit different in Europe / Denmark. Since WMC does not support the DVB-C used in Europe, instead you have to use Antenna and there you’ll find the digital tuners under DVB-T (which they are emulated as).
The overall steps are the following:
- Install HDHomeRun software
- Configuration TV tuners in Windows Media Center
HDHomeRun configuration steps:
- Install the HDHomeRun software and make sure you use the latest version and firmware for the HDHomeRun box (firmware gets updated automatically is needed)
- Configure the HDHomeRun software and change the following from default settings:
- Set Main application to: Windows Media Center
- Set Digital Tuner source to: Digital Cable
- Set Scan frequency order to:
- qam64 – 6900
- qam256 – 6900
- qam128 – 6900
- Under Advanced change Virtual Channel Table mode to: InjectNITSDT
- Scan for channels – they should now show up in the Channel table
- Apply the HDHomeRun configuration
Windows Media Center configuration steps:
- Start Windows Media Center
- Under TV settings, Setup TV Signal
- Windows Media Center should find all tuners you have enabled. Select Yes, configure TV with these results and click Next.
- Choose Antenna (Not Digital or DVB-C) and later DVB-T / HDHomeRun tuners will show, choose the two tuners, and click Next
- Next scan for channels and it should now find the channels already mapped in the HDHomeRun software.
- Finish the configuration and you are now ready to watch TV and setup EPG data for the channels
For EPG data I use a subscription from ontv.dk and the MCXMLImport software from Niels Rossen.